Sunday, July 7, 2019

Twelfth Night's Sir Andrew Aguecheek


I am a knight of the kingdom.  Sir Toby, a brother knight, is my friend and upon whose moral support I rely.  I am often in his company because he has more imagination than I and enjoys drinking and reveling, which I also enjoy.  We've known each other a long time.  People often refer to me as a fool.

I have a pension at my disposal, he does not.  I realize that I am funding our merry-making but that's OK with me since I am enjoying myself and this sure beats sitting around the castle with nothing to do.  Besides, he has a rather nice looking, amiable niece.

The scene that presents itself to us is that of Sir Toby and I in the scullery, drinking and laughing at the world in general.  I, however, am discouraged because his niece, who is the object of my affection, seems to want to have nothing to do with me.   I am about to quit the locale and go home.

The characters in this scene are Mariah, the boss of the maids and kitchen help, Malvolio, the butler, Sir Toby and me.

Malvolio is the object of our contempt because he is a self-absorbed character who dreams of marrying-up in the world and becoming a member of "society."  He would entertain affection from Toby's niece Olivia if the opportunity was to present itself.

Mariah comes up with a scheme that will unseat Malvolio and we are part of the game that unfolds.  It is a letter, forged to look like Olivia's handwriting, wherein she implies that she is interested in having a liaison with M. A. O. and, of course, Malvolio assumes that it is he.

It is a short scene wherein the characters are introduced, the plot is hatched, and Malvolio falls for it hook, line, and sinker to our pleasure.



No comments:

Post a Comment