Sunday, April 3, 2022

Character Sketch of Mr. Justice Wainwright


Mr. Justice Wainwright, Judge in the trial of Leonard Vole for the murder of Emily French on October 14.

That is the title to which I am referred in court and written articles.  My first name is John but it is never mentioned in proceedings.  I was born in London on Christmas eve in the year 1900.  My family was part of the upper classes of England, we lived in a flat in the fashionable West end and I attended all the right schools to allow for a career in the Law. 

I graduated from University of Cambridge Law at the University of Cambridge in 1924.  I began my law career at one of the larger firms in London as a clerk and eventually worked my way forward, choosing to be a barrister.  After 10 years as a barrister, I was appointed to the bench by the Queen and I have been in the position of Mr. Justice since that appointment when I was 46 years of age.

My reputation as a Mr. Justice is quite good.  I am regarded as fair and impartial to any and all who come before me.  I subscribe to the innocent until proven guilty philosophy.  I am also aware that barristers “coach” and otherwise prepare their witnesses for giving evidence. Personally, I have a family to whom I am devoted.  My two children are well on their way to being well-established members of society.  My wife, Mildred, of more than 25 years has been supportive of the demands of society.

There was an incident, about eight years ago, when I was infatuated with another woman on my staff.  She was young, impressionable, blonde, and willing.  I soon, however, saw the error of my ways and ended it.  There are scant few who know about this and I’ve never had to broach the subject with Mildred.

As one can imagine, the community of practitioners of the law in London is rather small.  There is a professional familiarity among all who are in the courtroom including the clerks, ushers, stenographers, wardens, and even the police inspectors who appear as witnesses from time to time.  Myers and Robarts are quite familiar to me, not only from frequent appearances in my court but also from social interaction throughout the years.

This particular case has received a disproportionate amount of publicity.  This may be due to the heinous nature of the crime and the fact that there is not a whole lot of other news at the moment.  I’ve seen the press and feel that they have found the prisoner guilty even before the trial.

Aside from the press, I know nothing about this case.  I also am aware that the press doesn’t always get it right.  I’ve seen the witness list and I am surprised to see that the wife of the prisoner is on the list for the prosecution.  This is most extraordinary and I anticipate more surprises as the trial moves along.

I will see the witnesses, most of whom for the first time, when the trial opens in the morning.  Meanwhile, I have some correspondence with which to deal.


No comments:

Post a Comment