Thursday, April 5, 2018

Character Study Aaron McKinney of The Laramie Project


(I am Aaron McKinney, convicted murderer of Matthew Shepard 10 years ago in Laramie Wyoming, now being visited in prison by Greg Pierotti of The Laramie Project.)

A little bit of personal history: my father was a hard worker and we had a comfortable life.  I was always a troublesome kid, stole things and generally messed up.  My brother is totally different.

My parents divorced and when my mom died in 1993, I got a big cash settlement from the case.  I didn't have a lot of supervision; I started to live the high life. 

From then on I was on the fringe of the law, dealing drugs and doing "odd" jobs.  I dealt drugs and got into a lot of trouble because I just don't care about anyone or anything except me.  

Now I live in a cell here in prison and have for the past 10 years.  I am allowed out of the cell for one hour every day, that's all.
 
At the trial I was found guilty of killing Matt Shepard.  I didn't know him before that night at the bar.  I knew he was a homosexual just by looking at him.  I didn't like him right away.  

We wanted to rob him because we were looking for someone to rob and he didn't look like someone who would give us a lot of trouble. I beat him with my pistol because I felt like it; I was mad at someone or something and I took it out on him.  I'm sorry but not for that.

Now I'm talking to Greg Pierotti and I'm not really sure who he is but what the heck, I'll talk to anybody.  He's asking me a lot of questions about the case and my feelings.

We've been talking for quite a while now and he's asking me some great questions.  Now he says Russell Henderson, my accomplice, told the court he was sorry but I didn't make a statement; he's asking me if I have remorse.

No comments:

Post a Comment